Panther Prowler

• School Referendum Passes: 1,809 Yes; 1,374 No

Competing in State: Twice in One Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Competing in State: Twice in One Day

Samantha Quam, Staff

The West Salem Visual Arts Classic and Forensics teams traveled South to the University of Madison Wisconsin to compete in their state competitions on April 12, 2019. Three students competed in both VAC and Forensics – junior Megan Lassig, junior Alyssa Szewczyk, and sophomore Samantha Quam.

VAC is a team and individual competition for student artists. A team may consist of seven people maximum, who must all compete in team activities and individual categories such as drawing, painting, sculpture, jewelry making, and art history. In order to make it to the state competition, the team itself or team members must place first place in an event at a district level competition.

The three students left for this event at 5:10 a.m., and were able to start their first competition at 8:30 a.m. The West Salem VAC team were placed in third for Critical thinking, second for Quiz Bowl, and first overall. “This has never happened before!” Mr. Brown, the team supervisor and high school art teacher, said. “I will remember you guys forever for making history happen in front of me.”

Before the award ceremony began, Lassig, Szewczyk, and Quam left to head to their forensics competition. Forensics is an oral presentation competition that focuses on public speaking, with categories such as prose, informative speech, short story, and poetry. Lassig competed in prose while Quam and Szewczyk competed in poetry. Lassig received a third place score of 21 points out of 25, earning her a bronze medal. Quam and Szewczyk both received a score of 23 points out of 25, giving them both silver medals. “Over the span of one season I learned so much, and I became more confident in my abilities,” junior Megan Lassig said after the successful season. 

• News

Safety at WSHS

• Competing in State: Twice in One Day

News

Principles of Leadership Tackles Recycling Project

• Competing in State: Twice in One Day

News

Online Shopping Threatening Local Malls

• Competing in State: Twice in One Day

News

Becoming a State Officer

• Competing in State: Twice in One Day

News

Locked Out of Locker Rooms

• Competing in State: Twice in One Day

News

April’s Breakfast of Champions

• News

Future of West Salem Rests on Voters

• News

Wisconsin Winters: What We Went Through

• Competing in State: Twice in One Day

News

Frozen In Time

• News

Safety at WSHS

Your top source for WSHS news
Competing in State: Twice in One Day