Traveling During Covid- My Experience

Traveling During Covid- My Experience

Though I’ve traveled before, this was my first time flying to Washington, D.C. Traveling during a pandemic is a different experience than it normally would be, so I thought I’d tell you about my experiences.

 When traveling during a pandemic,  you are required to have your mask on the entire time while in the airport. If you don’t have it on, you will be asked to leave. Every person at the airport was being asked if they tested negative for Covid before they were able to enter the plane or go to their destination. I noticed there were a lot less people flying versus pre-pandemic. The pilots talk about how you are in a small space, so you are more likely to get Covid,  such as if you don’t have your mask on when flying. They have hand sanitizer by all the gates and there are wipes that you can ask for to wipe down your seat and personal area. There were some places in the airport that were closed due to Covid. If you had a child on the plane under the age of 2, they didn’t have to wear a mask, but travelers 3 and up needed to have masks on in order to fly. 

When I woke up in the morning, I got ready, and put my bags in the car and before heading to the airport. I had 2 flights and a 2 hour layover after the first. We arrived at our final destination at 1pm on October 30th. We went to my cousins’ house first to drop off the bags and then we went to Chick-fil-A for dinner. Although all the workers were wearing masks, the dining room was open. The next night we went trick or treating. There weren’t a lot of people handing out candy and some people were wearing masks when they answered the door. 

D.C was the next stop for us, and it did not disappoint. We went to Arlington (the tomb of the unknown soldier), we walked to a town across a big bridge and shopped and went to a famous cupcake place called Georgetown Cupcakes. Inside we had to wear a mask and only one family was allowed in at once. We then walked back and went to the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial and took pictures. There weren’t very many people wearing masks, but some were. We went to the museum and you had to wear a mask and use hand sanitizer when you walked in. We took the metro back home where we heard that you have to wear a mask or you can’t ride the metro. The next day we went to downtown Alexandria and shopped and went to lunch at Augies. In most of the stores we had to wear a mask and only a certain amount of people were allowed in. At the pumpkin patch they make you wear masks on Mondays,  as it’s crazy busy there on Mondays. 

We woke up at 5am and headed to the airport for our 7am flight back home. We ate breakfast at the airport, checked in and boarded the flight. We had a 1 hour layover before our second flight. My grandpa picked us up from the airport and took us home. I had a very fun and busy trip, despite all the COVID craziness.