New Head Coach

Mya Koudelka, Staff

In the 2021-2022 Boys Basketball season there is a new face on the court. Mark Wagner is the new head coach for West Salem Boys Basketball. Coach Wagner isn’t new to the sport of basketball. He played for the Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau RedHawks in high school, then at the University of Mary, in Bismarck, ND. Later, he coached at Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau High School, Pittsville High School, Westmar University, and LeMars. This year he decided to come to West Salem.“There’s a great group of players and a very supportive community,” states Wagner.

This season, there are high hopes for bringing home a championship win. In order to accomplish this goal, Coach Wagner feels his players have to “work hard everyday, have fun, and commit to being the best team we can be.” He acknowledges the tremendous group of boys playing this year and who have a passion to win. He also praises them on how hard they work in practice and how enjoyable it is to work with them. 

Looking ahead he hopes to have a long tournament run with his team and play as much as possible. 

Coach Wagner’s players view him as a great coach. They all hope to become state champs with his help. “He brings a good environment and spirit to the team,” says sophomore Tamarrein Henderson . He may be a tough coach according to his players, but Wagner’s methods of preparing for games, and his coaching during games benefits the team and how they play. With a 3-0 record, high hopes for a win against Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau on December 16.