Boys Soccer Kicking Off the Season

Emily Fell, Staff Writer

Kicking off the 2022 boys soccer season. JV coach, Thomas Fell says, “that the season is starting out slow, but after the second game, you can see the boys’ progress. In the games so far, the team has shown good ball possession, but trouble finding the net.” Assistant coach, Josh Iliff says, “that the boys are playing well as a team, and working well together.” Iliff says, “that the freshmen have been blending in well and the upperclassmen have shown great leadership.” 

On Tuesday, September 6th, the boys soccer team played the Onalaska Hilltoppers. The JV team went back and forth for the first part of the game. Then around the 30 minute mark, Jeremiah Miller scored. At halftime, the score was 1-0 West Salem. For most of the first part of the second half, it was on Onalaska’s side. Then again, Miller scored around the 70-minute mark. With 2 minutes left of the game, Onalaska scored. Making the final score 2-1. The boys Varsity team started off going back and forth as well. “There has been good ball possession for both teams, we keep losing possession when we get to the net.” said Brynlee Kelly, one of the managers. At halftime, the score was 0-0. With 2 minutes into the second half, Onalaska scored. Then 5 minutes later, they scored again. Making the score 0-2. Around the 70-minute mark, Nick Ziegler gets a penalty kick and scores. Making that the first score of the season. Right after West Salem scores, Onalaska comes back and scores once again. Making the final score 3-1. Next game will be on Thursday, September 8th against Aquinas. It will be a home game, and it is also parents’ night.