Preparing for Prom

Kendra Trautsch and Leah Brigson, Staff Writers

At West Salem High School, Prom has always been an important event. Most students will get ready with friends, take photos at Riverside Park in La Crosse, go out to dinner, and end the night by having a blast at the school dance! However, none of this could be achieved without the help of the Prom Committee. 

The Prom Committee helps decide the theme and the decorations for the dance. “They decide upon every aspect of what prom is,” said Prom Coordinator and English teacher, Mrs. Volden. “I have very little role other than facilitation in that… asking them questions and guiding them towards, like, ‘What themes do you want?,’ and ‘What will we need in order to make it happen?’” 

The theme for the dance this year is Met Gala, allowing students the opportunity to dress up in a glamorous Hollywood style. 

“Everyone works together to come up with ideas,” says Prom Committee member Ella McKinney. “It is cool to see how other people think rather than just myself and my close friends.” Additionally, the group helps set up and take down the decorations at Prom. Without the help of the Prom Committee, Prom would cease to be the amazing tradition that the West Salem community loves.

At Prom, many students love to watch the Prom Coronation, a ceremony that highlights the Prom Court. Prom Court is a long standing tradition that recognizes a group of junior students who the student body believes accurately represents them as a whole. Out of this group, students at Prom will cast their votes for who they believe best represents the grade, taking the titles of Prom King and Queen. 

This year, the members of the Prom Court include Trae Athnos, Chris Calico, Ben Hanson, Brennan Kennedy, Peter Lattos, Brett McConkey, Shiwa Xiong, Luke Noel, Lauren Bell, Elly Goodenough, Jaden Hammes, Morgan Kammel, Madison MacRodgers, Anna McConkey, Kate Skaar, and Anna Szymanski. 

The Prom King and Queen will be decided on May 7, 2022, the date of the 2021-2022 Prom.

Prom tickets will be $10 per person. To purchase a ticket, you must be a senior or junior, unless you have a senior or junior student who is bringing you as a date. Guest passes from the office are needed if your guest goes to another school. Guest passes need to be turned into the office by 8:00 am on Friday, February 18th. Every guest must be under 21 years of age.

Contact Mrs. Volden with any questions you may have about this year’s Prom.